ORECA has a number of key objectives in promoting the interests of electric cooperatives:
- Support the development and distribution of electricity with the highest quality of service and cost-based retail rates consistent with prudent business management.
- Maintain the integrity of the Oregon utility territorial protection laws which protect the consumer and the investment in rural electric systems.
- Support the orderly development of rural areas in the state through the supply of cost-based, Bonneville Power Authority preference power to rural commerce, industry and housing.
- Protect the ability of electric cooperatives to do business in Oregon by retaining the Cooperative Corporation Statutes.
- Maintain the authority of electric cooperatives to provide additional services to its consumer-owners
ORECA’s top priorities in representing the interests of rural electric cooperatives before the Oregon Legislature include the following:
- Maintain the self-governance of consumer-owned utilities.
- Maintain the electric utility territorial allocation statutes.
- Maintain the integrity of the Oregon cooperative statutes.
- Preserve the benefits of the low-cost federal hydro system, and preserve preference power for consumer-owned utilities.
- Oppose unnecessary regulation and costs.
- Maintain the right to provide additional services, without significant tax penalties, to our consumer-owners.